Focused on education, awareness and a cure for Multiple Sclerosis
The Mary J. Szczepanski “Never Give Up” MS Scholarship Foundation is starting its 21st year and offers annual scholarships to seniors at Catholic Central, Covenant Christian, Kenowa Hills and Northview High Schools in the Grand Rapids, MI area for creatively raising funds for Multiple Sclerosis. In the fall of 2008, all United States high schools and all United States universities in 2010 were invited to participate. This extraordinary program has touched the lives of many people in our communities across the United States and is constantly raising awareness to this terrible disease.
The program was developed in 1997 to honor my mom, who lived with MS for 38 years. My wife, also named Mary, has been living with MS for 30 years. One or two $500.00 scholarships are awarded at each high school, one to a male and female senior who raises the most funds for MS. Each school’s program is set up differently. A beautiful engraved plaque is also presented to each winner to commemorate his or her accomplishment. Nine scholarships are offered to high school students annually and one offered to college students annually.
All money raised by the students, over $29,000 to date, has been donated to Accelerated Cure Project for research.
The Mary J. Szczepanski “Never Give Up” MS Scholarship Foundation has built its own reputation of community awareness, education in the high schools, raising funds for multiple sclerosis, and being recognized in 2005 as the most imaginative venture in our state. Educators, students and businesses have applauded our efforts to fight MS. The Szczepanski Scholarship Program was honored in 2002 with a Bronze Achievement Award for raising over $3,000.00 for MS.
Our forty-five scholarship recipients have attended the University of Michigan, University of Maryland, University of Detroit Mercy, UC Davis, University of Northwest Ohio, University of Arizona, Northeastern University in Boston, Michigan State, Ferris State, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Grand Valley State, Louisiana Tech, Cedarville University, Davenport University, Oakland University, Portland State University, Baylor University, Angelo State University, Baker College of Muskegon, Trine University, Hope College, Aquinas College, Olivet College, Oakland Community College, Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Catawba College and Grand Rapids Community College.
This unique and prestigious scholarship established in 2000, was created to remember my mom who fought the disease for 38 years, raise funds and awareness for Multiple Sclerosis, and assist students with college expenses.
The criteria for the Mary J. Szczepanski “Never Give Up” MS Scholarship Foundation
is as follows:
· High school seniors must collect a minimum of $500.00 to be considered, since our mission is to raise funds for Multiple Sclerosis.
· All donations of any amount for MS are certainly welcome.
· Collect pledges from Start today – March 15, 2021
· Use pledge sheets printed from the website www.msscholarship.org
· Turn in all 2020 donations by December 1, 2020 for donors tax credits
· Turn in completed pledge sheets and remaining donations by March 15, 2021
· All pledges for MS should be in the form of a check or money order and made out to: Accelerated Cure Project and in your memo line: Scholarship Program
· All money raised by the students goes to fight Multiple Sclerosis through research.
· Please send pledge sheets, checks and thank you letters to:
Palmer Service, Inc
Dianna Palmer – Scholarship Coordinator
3357 Remembrance Road NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49534
The senior who raises the most funds for Multiple Sclerosis throughout the 50 states, will be presented with the following:
· $1,000 towards the college or university attending in the fall of 2021
· A beautiful engraved plaque honoring him/her as the National recipient
The National recipient will furnish the following:
· A senior picture
· A short biography
· Reference letter from his / her high school principal to Mr. Szczepanski
· Thank you letter to Mr. Rick Szczepanski
· Thank you letter from your parents or guardians
· Letter of acceptance from the college or university he / she is attending
The check for $1,000 will be deposited in the student’s account through the
Mary J. Szczepanski “Never Give Up” MS Scholarship Foundation, who manages the funds.
Please feel free to contact me at anytime,
Rick A. Szczepanski - Founder
1379 Kinney Ave. NW * Grand Rapids, MI 49534 * (616) 791-2069 * www.msscholarship.orgP